Training Log (Mar 31-April 6)

Post Ironman Oceanside 70.3 race week was all about celebrating with
some beers, soaking in a good result and getting ready for “official” IMCDA
training to begin. However, the beers had to wait until later that week. Last
week ended up being very Deja vu from last year's race. After swimming in the harbor last year I woke up the next day with a sinus infection. Sure enough, this year - I woke up with a nasty sinus headache. I think it's important to mark sick days in your training log so you can reference patterns that may occur over the years. Obviously there's something in that water that does not agree with me and my sinuses. The difference this year was I have a coach! Last year I took a few days off, took some meds and jumped right back into training, only to relapse three days later and ended up being out a whole week with a full blown sinus infection. After I looked at my training log and conversing with Flanny, we really ramped up slowly getting back into the swing of things last week which paid off as I only took two days off.

Either way, this is the second time in a month that I've been sick which points to a pretty weak immune system. I started taking some electrolyte tablets that have extra minerals I may be lacking (esp. Iron) in hopes that it will boost my immune system a bit. I'd be interested in any feedback any of you have besides eating healthy, getting enough sleep and washing hands often (which I do all three really well and often) on how to boost the immune system. It may just be that I'm around a lot of different environments (kids, work, friends...etc) and I train a lot so it's just part of the process. If you have any suggestions, please comment!

So last week was low key. Just recovering from the race, being sick and then slowly ramping up training the smart way:

Monday & Tuesday: Sick [hr]

Wednesday: 1 workout

SRM / Speedfil / Reynolds Bike Trainer: 1:35 / 20 miles / 12.9 mph

Flanny’s workout: Super easy z1 ride

Post workout notes: Just watched Breaking Bad on Netflix and got the legs moving.[hr]

Thursday: 1 workout

Rudy Project Recovery Run- 40 mins / 4.5 miles / 8:53 pace

Flanny’s Workout: 30-40 mins Z1 super easy

Post workout notes: Some aches and pains from not running for five days but felt fine otherwise.[hr]

Friday: 2 workouts

BlueSeventy Masters Swim: 1hr/ 3k

Post workout notes: I went to Masters but just did a long warm up a few slow sets and then shut it down.

SRM / Speedfil / Reynolds Trainer Ride:  1:35 / 22 miles / 13.9 mph

Flanny’s workout: Another easy z1 ride

Post workout notes: Same as Wed. Just slow easy, watched some shows to get the legs moving.[hr]

Saturday: 1 workout

SRM / Speedfil / Reynolds Bike Ride: 2:38 / 43 miles / 16.2 mph

Flanny’s workout: Longish Ride Z2

Post workout notes: Still easing back into it. Stayed on the flats and just enjoyed the ride.[hr]

Sunday: 1 workout

Rudy Project Run- 90 mins / 11 miles / 8:40 pace

Flanny's workout: ez z2 long run

Post workout notes: First time in a long time that I enjoyed a long run. I actually posted that on Facebook and had a lot of comments that it was too short or too slow and they were right haha! It was nice to have a long run with no purpose or no goal but to just put time on your feet. The weather was perfect and the run refreshing. Just what I needed to start a new week.[hr]

Totals (1 swims, 3 rides, 2 runs)
Swim: 3,000 yds /1:00
Bike: 85 miles / 5:50
Run: 15 miles / 2:15
Total hours: 9:05


I always like to have a takeaway from the week of work. Did I get better physically and mentally? This week was all about recovering from the race so getting sick actually happened at a good time (if there's such thing). The plan was a low key week to get me ready for the "official" start of Ironman training. The plan worked and I'm really motivated right now to get knee deep into training for IMCDA. This week allowed my race accomplishment to sink in and in a way grow a love for the sport again.

Momentum.

Questions / Comments always appreciated!
For more info/pictures and James’ website visit:
www.konajourney.com


 

 

 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment