Race Week: Training Log (April 21-27)

It's RACE WEEK! With the job of qualifying for 70.3 World Championships out of the way and IMCDA still two months away, I jumped at the opportunity of racing Wildflower. There's zero pressure to perform well, so what are we going to do? We're going to take risks! Every single 70.3 I've raced has been on a conservative approach - which is smart since I was so new to the sport. With this being my fourth year in triathlon, I think it's time to put on my big boy pants and actually take some risks and race aggressively. There's no doubt that this course can really hurt you if you're too aggressive but I really don't have anything to lose. I'm not tapering or taking this race too seriously. It's all about having fun with team mates and racing harder than I ever have before.

Why risk a blow up when this is my last race heading into the most important race of the season? Well, my confidence is sky high right now. There's no doubt that I'm in the best shape of my life. I've also matured as a triathlete a lot this year and I know what I am capable of. My once hesitant confidence at my chances of qualifying for Kona are now a distant memory. I now believe that as long as I execute come race day at IMCDA, I'll be standing on the podium and collecting my Kona slot. Flanny mentioned that I'm ahead of his expectations with my fitness and I still have two months of solid training to build into the race.

So really, the goal at Wildflower this weekend is to put myself in such a deep/dark place that once I start to suffer at IMCDA, I'll remember the battles that I won at Wildflower.

Here's how last week's training looked like. Work was super busy so I really had to manage my time well and be disciplined on the hour.

Monday: 1 workout


Bike Tempo Session Data HERE 1:40/ 30 miles / 18.4mph


Flanny’s workout: 1.5-2 hours depending on available time. 2 x 20 minutes @ 70.3 Race Watts on 5 minutes easy. Stay aero as much as possible.


Post workout notes: (in notes) [hr]


Tuesday: 1 workout


Run Track Workout, Data HERE: 1:10 / 8.5 miles


Flanny's Workout:
15 min WU
2 x 2 mile on 2 min rest
(first one I want at 6:30 pace, second one I want at 6:15 pace)
2 x 800 on 1 min rest
(I want both at 6:00 pace.....NO FASTER)
This workout should not be too hard for you.
Easy CD for the remainder of the run.


Post workout notes: (listed in data file). [hr]


Wednesday: 2 workouts


Masters Swim: 90 mins / 4000 yds
500 wup, 4x100 on 1:40, 4x50 on 50
Main set:
5x200 on 3mins
500 pull (buoy/paddles)
5x200 on 3 mins
500 with fins


Post workout notes: I hit all of the 200's between 2:50-55. For not swimming since Friday, this was a really good workout for me - basically 2k at race pace.

Bike Tempo Session DATA HERE: 2hrs / 35 miles / 17.7 mph


Flanny’s workout: 2 hours today with 3 x 20 minutes at your 70.3 race watts on 5 minutes easy riding between efforts.


Post workout notes: (listed in data notes).[hr]


Thursday: 2 workouts


Morning run: 41mins / 4.5 miles / AVG 9:07 pace.


Flanny’s Workout: Easy morning run.


Post workout notes: 5am run's are always hard for me to warm up. Just an easy slow run.


Afternoon run: 1:22 / 10 miles / AVG 8:12 pace.


Flanny’s Workout: Evening Run 1:20 Z2+


Post workout notes: Hit the trails, felt pretty tired after a long day at work but started coming around towards the end. Good double run day, it's been awhile since I've done that.[hr]


Friday: 1 workout


Masters Swim: 90 mins / 4000 yards


700 wup, 10x50 on 50
4x500 @1:35 pace (odds swim, evens paddles)
500 drill (changing every 100)
c/d


Post workout notes: Another early wakeup call as I played golf with some clients for the rest of the day. Starting to love the longer intervals.[hr]


Saturday: 2 workouts


Wetsuit Swim: 31:36 / 2000 yds / AVG 1:34/100 
 
Post workout notes:
Was scheduled for a long ride/brick run but woke up to nasty rain and wind so I made a quick call to Flanny and we just swapped Sat/Sun's workouts. I have access to a non-heated pool so I knocked this out and was 3 seconds faster per 100 then I was the week before Oceanside. Good to see some progress.


Tempo Long run, DATA HERE: 1:27 / 11.3 miles / AVG 7:44 pace 


Flanny’s Workout:
30 minutes Z2
30 minutes Z3+
30 Minutes Z2
Relaxed


Post workout notes: (posted in workout notes).6:30's never felt so easy (ok, except in college :)[hr]


Sunday: 2 workouts


Bike ride, DATA HERE. 3:30 / 61 miles / 17.5 mph


Flanny’s workout: Within today's session I want 3 x 30 minutes at Z3 watts with lots of rest between efforts. Stay down and aero for as much of this as possible. We don't need a huge climbing day today so keep it reasonable.


Post workout notes: Notes attached to the power file above.


Brick Run- 20 mins / 2.75 miles/ 7:16 AVG pace. 


Flanny's workout: Easy 20 min run off bike.


Post workout notes: Running is feeling effortless right now.[hr]


Totals (3 swims, 3 rides, 5 runs)
Swim: 10,000 yds /3:32
Bike: 127 miles / 7:09
Run: 37 miles / 5:00
Total hours: 15:41


Hours had to go down a bit this week with it being such a busy week commuting to San Diego 4 out of the 5 days, running a trade show at the convention center for two days and golfing all day Friday. Overall very pleased with the progress and my fitness going into Wildflower.


Wish me luck!!


Here's some more pictures from the weekend, cheers!


[gallery columns="2" ids="2808,2807,2806,2805,2803,2802,2801,2800,2809"]

1 comments:

Brian Gunn said...

Nice work! Have a great race at Wildflower.

Post a Comment