Mental & Physical Break + Coaching/Schedule for 2012

The next morning after Soma I woke up and actually felt great. I wasn't limping around like I usually do after a hard race. It just felt like I rode hard the day before and nothing else. I was pretty surprised because of all of the intense cramping I had. We packed up and headed for the long ride home. Three hours later we made a stop and as soon as I got out of the car it felt like someone took a bat to the back of my knees/lower hamstrings. Every hour from there on out it got worse. The next day I was having a hard time walking. I had a serious case of DOMS and I was miserable for a few days. I probably should have gone for a little spin on the bike as soon as I woke up to get the blood flow going....Oh well, lesson learned.

Beautiful/chill ride with Scott
After Soma, I had already planned on taking a week off of training. I told Amy that not only will I take the week off from training, but also take a mental break from it to. As in no triathlon magazines, TV, online, talking about it...etc. I just wanted to get away from it for a week and clear my mind and allow my body to heal a bit before I start base building for 2012. Let me tell you, it was hard! But it was a very nice week to relax, eat a little more than usual, drink a little more beer than usual, go to bed late, sleep in...I think I gained 5 pounds in those short 5 days. OK, maybe it wasn't a whole week off, but I'm glad I put in some low-key workouts over the weekend to prime me for this week.

Now, for some exciting news...

A few months ago I had started looking for a coach. I got some referrals from some friends, but some of the coaches weren't local or too much $$, so I just kind of put it on the back burner. Then a few weeks ago, James Walsh posted on his blog that he is teaming up with Trainingbible coaching and will be taking on some athletes for the 2012 season. I met James last year at an Xterra trail race in Santee. I went up and introduced myself to him at the start because he had a BSK/Running Center singlet on. I had just started training with BSK and after he won the race I found his blog on the BSK website. Since then I've kinda just followed him and his wife Beth crush it in the triathlon and he's even given me some tips/encouragement on my blog. A big selling point to me was that he uses Joel Friel's system, which I'm familiar with. I've been self coaching myself over the past year and I've incorporated everything I've learned from his two triathlon books; "Triathlete's bible" and "Advanced Triathlon" so I know the strategy and purpose of most of the workouts. I also know that using just one formula won't get me to my best, so with his added knowledge I think I'll make big breakthroughs in 2012.

I'm just pumped to have a coach again. I haven't had one since US 5000 meter Olympic Gold Medalist Bob Schul coached me back in 2002-3. The biggest reason why I need one is to have someone push me and hold me accountable (on both slacking and going too hard) at all times. I contribute all of my past running success to my coaches. I honestly believe you just can't be at your best on your own. So this week I officially started the plan and mapped out my tentative schedule for 2012 which includes the following:

Jan 15 - Rock & Roll ½ Marathon, AZ
March 3 – Desert International Triathlon, CA
March 31 - Ironman 70.3 CA
April 20-21 – Ragnar Relay 
May 12 – San Diego ITU Age Group
June – San Diego International
July 15 – Ironman 70.3 Vineman
September 9 – Ironman 70.3 World Championships, NV (if/when I qualify)

I might do the Desert Classic Duathlon again, but I'd like to get in an Olympic distance triathlon before I jump into Ironman 70.3 CA so we'll see. Cheers to 2012!

A few more pics from the weekend:


A Knight....and Snow White for Halloween!

Teaching the knight Roman numerals


Lots of these during my week off...just ask Amy



Stone's Black Imperial IPA...not my fav, but a nice kick!

2 comments:

jameson said...

stoked to be working together!

how was the fresh hop mirror pond? I picked on up a week ago and it's still in the fridge.

James said...

Fresh Hop was just ok...Like the Hop Trip a lot better. Make sure to hit up their Jubelale for thanksgiving - one of my favorite fall beers!

Post a Comment