Transition Week

Team Hair Force - 5th in our Div (co-ed) and 10th overall
out of 454 teams
 After three weeks of racing hard; this past week was just an easy transition week to recover both physically and mentally from the past month. Ragnar Relay was a blast and we found out that we finished 5th in our Division and 10th overall, so we were stoked! As fun as it was, I have been super tired lately, needing like 9 hours of sleep, feeling drowsy during the day and just dead legs - so this break was much needed. Today is the first day I actually feel like there is some pep in my step (except for my left foot)...In my last post I wrote about how I had some pain in my foot after running hard on a sloped road in the Ragnar Relay. Well I went to the doctors and got it x-rayed and there's good news and bad news. I didn't fracture it, but he said I have a "Peroneal Tendon Strain." Basically it's from overuse, running on uneven surfaces and/or worn out shoes. I think in my case it was all of the above. He said if it's not torn it will take 2-3 weeks to heal, if it's torn more like 2 months. So needless to say, I'm going to be taking it easy with my running and really focus on getting some work done on the bike and swim.
The dam right behind me
 I have been loving the time change, it's given me a chance to get out on the trails after work. Wednesday I hit up Lake Hodges and hit some new trails that I had never ridden on before which took me past the lake, past the dam and all the way down to the Mission Gorge trail (kinda runs parallel with Del Dios Hwy). I just wanted to keep riding and explore the new trails but I eventually had to turn back before it got dark. I felt very strong on the bike and as much as I seemed to push, my legs never seemed to feel tired-a good sign. Then on Saturday I headed out for my Couzer-Canyon loop. It's about a 50 mile ride with about 3500 feet of climbing. I hadn't been on Blue Steel in a long time and it felt really good to get out on the roads instead of hammering on the trainer. My foot hurt a bit when I would get out of the saddle, but other than that, I crushed my previous best on the ride by 30 minutes. Definitely getting stronger on the bike.

Other than a few swims and some much needed rest, the rest of the week was just family time. I have really missed hanging out as a family and the racing kinda took away that balance. The kiddos are growing up so fast and when you spend a little bit of time away from them you realize how much they grow/develop each week! Even though the season has just started I feel like I have learned so much about triathlon, where I am and what needs improvement. I revised my race schedule for the year which has a few more off road tri's, a road triathlon and even signed up for another 1/2 marathon later this fall. Hopefully I'll be jumping into some local -low key triathlons along with some more mountain biking for the rest of the year. THEN. At the end of the year after it's all said and done I'll decide what I want to focus on for 2012. I haven't written this year off, but before I fork out cash for a nice bike and pay to enter races around the US, I want to know what kind of triathlon I want to focus on (off road, road, short distance/long...). Until next week----


Paul Pellici said...

Sweet, glad to see you are doing well and actually getting rest unlike the old James who would just push through the pain. I see you are doing the AFC half. I am already signed up and gearing my training for it. I am gonna also try to do the Scripps run but we will see, 4th of July is a big family day for me and I need it after being gone for a year.

Post a Comment