2012 in Review

If I had to pick one word to describe 2012 it would be FUN. It's been awhile since I've had a year that felt that way. It's a combination of family, training, friends and even work - overall it's just been a blast and I can't wait to carry that over into 2013. Although in this blog I can often times sound very serious about triathlon - if you know me in person, I'm really not that way. This blog is just an outlet to discuss my training, racing and some personal life experiences. Sometimes I can come across as intense or too serious on paper but just keep in mind that although I do put a lot of time/energy into triathlon - it isn't my life - it's just a part of it and I intend on keeping it that way.

This doesn't mean I don't want to go fast. That's really the only reason why I race triathlons. I don't do them to be an average triathlete that trains occasionally and their goal is to travel and finish races. There is nothing wrong with that - but it's not in my DNA. I love to compete and triathlon is my outlet and I'm having waaay too much fun doing it. In wrapping up 2012 in my 2nd year as a triathlete, although I went through hell trying to figure out long course and cramping I did come away with a lot of positives from the year - here's some highlights:
  • Podiumed 7 out of 10 races (top 3)
  • PR'd Sprint, Olympic and 70.3
  • Had my 1st Overall Amatuer win (short course)
  • Swam 254 miles (little embarrassed by this number as I still swam slow this year)
  • PR'd 1.2M swim in 70.3- 34:17 (see above note...)
  • PR'd 1500M swim in 24:56
  • PR'd 40k Bike in 59:28
  • PR'd 13.1 run in 70.3 - 1:23
  • Ran a 1:14 1/2 marathon
  • Ran a 33:27 10k
  • Ran a 16:15 5k
This isn't a bragging sheet as it's more of me trying to instill confidence in myself that I had a good year haha. I still have a lot of weak links in my training and racing but I feel like I've done a good job working on those in the off season and definitely feel more prepared going into 2013. I'm a lot faster swimmer and cyclist than I was last year at this time. My running is like the black sheep of the three. It gets neglected A LOT. I only averaged 19 miles a week last year and it was intended that way. I put way more time into swimming and cycling just to get it anywhere near my running talents. Now that I like where my swimming and cycling is heading - I'm going to capitalize now on some more running and really use it as a weapon at the end of races this year.

Even though I became a faster triathlete in 2012 I think the biggest thing I learned is patience. I expected to jump into triathlon and just dominate 70.3's. I was so naive and so disrespectful to those that put in the work and did their time. I haven't gotten there yet, but when I do - I'll be on that 70.3 podium.

Check out my race schedule for 2013. If you're in the 30-34 age group and you're fast - Let's race!!! 
You can't miss a Wattie. Beers after as always.

Some pics from 2012 racing:

R&R AZ 1/2 Marathon
Strapping on the Work hat and getting ready to do some work at IM Oceanside
Starting the day on the bike at Wildflower

SDIT with Massi and Wattie

Podium at Santa Barbara Long Course

What really matters...

Cheers to 2013!

1 comments:

jameson said...

Cheers dude! 2012 was a good and it was rad working with you! I have no doubt you'll step it up in a huge way this year. the magical year #3!

Post a Comment